Friday, October 10, 2014

Career Woes with Chronic Illness

Two weekends ago I was incredibly proud of myself being able to photograph a wedding that had a lot of ups and downs in the ways of POTS. I had many things to watch and look out for not only for my health but for a wedding. a WEDDING! I was shooting it! It seemed like an incredibly crazy idea at the time and it still was when we were driving up to the venue of the wedding. I became sick the day of with my heart racing and nausea taking over. My man perhaps thought it was because of nerves and I could say he was right because later on, the rest of me was fine. I kept hydrated as I could and used my wheelchair to get from the ceremony spot to the reception spots, as well as the bride and groom rooms. That fact that I have a wheelchair to do that, makes me incredibly happy. 


Thee Gorgeous Bride and Groom! 


I was lucky to have shot my first wedding with a couple I knew and were flexible and knowledgeable of my illness. It have given me the experience of doing a bigger event other than a 2 hour engagement or family shoot. 

The Bride and I! 

I thankfully made it til the end of the night! 10am to 10pm! 12 hours of work and I didn't die. Well, I was sore for a couple of days with my fibromyalgia. I managed to keep up my energy with an extra potassium pill and drinking TONS of water and Gatoraide. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Afterwards though, I had a new job to start that Monday, and had a total breakdown realizing that I couldn't handle a retail job that required a lot of standing, moving up and down, and crazy amounts of stress that I couldn't handle 5 days a week for more than 8 hours a day. I have a hard time enough working an 8 hour day at a library. 

But, meanwhile in my library job, I am losing hours because of our funding. Which sucks because it's the perfect job for my body to handle all the time and I'm still able to do photography occasionally. Yet again, I have to struggle to find a job because I'm not making nearly as much as I was and it's hard with paying for an apartment and with my SSDI still "in progress". It would be nice to know that my disability could be approved and finalized so I could live without having to worry. 

But alas. *dumb government